The MOD-EKG is a digital heart-rate monitor based on TI's MSP430FG439 microcontroller. The heartbeat rate per minute is displayed on the LCD. In addition, the application outputs a digital data stream via an RS232 serial port to allow EKG waveform display on a PC. The only way to do this is via board's UEXT connector, where RS232 signals are sent. The connection between the PC and MOD-EKG can be made by using our USB to RS232 Converter.
An electrocardiogram (ECG), also called an EKG, is a graphic tracing of the voltage generated by the heart muscle during a heartbeat. In this application, the EKG waveform is used by the MCU to measure the heartbeat rate. Because heartbeat calculation is the major focus the electrodes are simplified to two connections, one to a right hand and the other to the left hand.
- Microcontroller: MSP430FG439
- EKG amplifiers realized with INA321EA
- JTAG connector for direct plug in MSP430 2x7 JTAG connector to provide power for the target board
- UEXT connector so it can be connected to other board as heart beat monitor sensor board
- LCD custom display
- Lithium coin battery holder
- Extension headers for all microcontroller ports – no connectors mounted on the board
- Right and left hands contact electrodes – HR1 and HR2
- Two status LEDs
- Two user buttons
- Switch between Battery and UEXT power supply
- Based on Texas Instruments application note SLAA280a
- FR-4, 1.5 mm, soldermask, component print
- Dimensions: 76.20 x 71.12 mm ( 3.00 x 2.80 ")