This PIC16F88-I/SS is part of the PIC16F87/88 microcontrollers and belongs to the mid-range family of the PICmicro® devices.
The PIC16F range of microcontrollers from Microchip are 8-bit MCUs that incorporate Microchip’s PIC® architecture into a variety of pin and package options, from space efficient 14-pin devices to feature-rich 64-pin devices. Devices with Baseline, Mid-Range or Enhanced Mid-Range architecture are available with numerous different peripheral combinations, giving designers flexibility and choice for their applications.
The PIC16F87/88 family of microcontrollers is based upon Microchip’s Mid-range core with an 8 level deep hardware stack and 35 instructions. These MCUs provide up to 5 MIPS, 7 Kbytes program memory, 368 bytes RAM and 256 bytes EEPROM. On board is a configurable oscillator.
These devices contain features that are new to the PIC16 product line:
- Low-power modes: RC_RUN allows the core and peripherals to be clocked from the INTRC, while SEC_RUN allows the core and peripherals to be clocked from the low-power Timer1.
- Internal RC oscillator with eight selectable frequencies, including 31.25 kHz, 125 kHz, 250 kHz, 500 kHz, 1 MHz, 2 MHz, 4 MHz, and 8 MHz. The INTRC can be configured as a primary or secondary clock source.
- The Timer1 module current consumption has been greatly reduced from 20 µA (previous PIC16 devices) to 1.8 µA typical (32 kHz at 2V), which is ideal for real-time clock applications.
- Extended Watchdog Timer (WDT) that can have a programmable period from 1 ms to 268s. The WDT has its own 16-bit prescaler.
- Two-Speed Start-up: When the oscillator is configured for LP, XT, or HS, this feature will clock the device from the INTRC while the oscillator is warming up. This, in turn, will enable almost immediate code execution.
- Fail-Safe Clock Monitor: This feature will allow the device to continue operation if the primary or secondary clock source fails by switching over to the INTRC.
- The A/D module has a new register for PIC16 devices named ANSEL. This register allows easier configuration of analog or digital I/O pins.
Special Microcontroller Features:
- 100,000 erase/write cycles Enhanced FLASH program memory typical
- 1,000,000 typical erase/write cycles EEPROM data memory typical
- EEPROM Data Retention: > 40 years
- In-Circuit Serial Programming™ (ICSP™) - via two pins
- Processor read/write access to program memory
- Low-Voltage Programming
- In-Circuit Debugging via two pins
- Extended Watchdog Timer (WDT): - Programmable period from 1 ms to 268s
- Wide operating voltage range: 2.0V to 5.5V